Reformed in 2003, the Leinster Regiment Association honours the soldiers, and their descendents, who served in the Prince of Wales’s Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians), which formed part of the British Army from 1881 until its disbandment in 1922.
The Association merits considerable praise arising from its significant contribution to retaining the culture, traditions, ethos and legacy of the disbanded unit, though the active engagement of descendents, those with family links, like minded individuals, and former and serving members of the British Armed Forces and the Irish Defence Forces.
The Prince of Wales’s Leinster Regiment was one of eight Irish regiments and recruited mainly in the province of Leinster with its depot in Crinkill Barracks, Birr, County Offaly. A memorial window dedicated to the Prince of Wales’s Leinster Regiment can be seen in St. Brendan’s Church and a monument is located in the former Crinkill Barracks.
The official opening of the Leinster Regiment’s Exhibition in Birr Library on Friday, 04 August was conducted by Colonel Rory Redford of the Canadian High Commission in London, in the presence of local dignitaries, members of the Leinster Regiment Association and the Royal British Legion. The Military Heritage of Ireland Trust was represented by Colonel W.H. Gibson (Retd) – Director.
The opening was followed by a wreath laying ceremony at the Leinster Regiment’s Memorial in Crinkill Barracks, where wreaths were laid on behalf of Canada, the Leinster Regiment Association and by the Royal British Legion. The day’s activities also included a lecture delivered by Colonel Peter Walton, Chairman of the Leinster Regiment Association, titled “Off to War with the 2 Battalion: 1914”.
View the MHIT Image Gallery >>