Allied and German Golfers at the Curragh Camp 1940-1945 By Colonel William H. Gibson (retd.)
With the outbreak of war in Europe in September 1939 the Irish Government, led by Éamon DeValera, adopted a policy of neutrality and thereby refrained from joining the Allies or Axis powers. This was followed by a declaration of Emergency, which suspended the normal political life of the country.
In the event of any of the ‘Belligerents’ landing by sea or air on the territory of the State, it was decided that the air or naval personnel would be interned in specially prepared accommodation at the Curragh Camp, Co. Kildare. Part of the present practice area of the Royal Curragh Golf Club was selected as the site of what became known as the ‘B’ and ‘G’ Camps – the former for Allied internees and the latter for Germans.
Download the Full Article Parts 1 and 2 >>